Programme of Clinical Case Conference
This year's NZSE conference is a little different.
We've decided to concentrate on clinical endocrinology and training, by using a format of clinical case presentations. We will be providing a forum for Endocrine Trainees and SMOs to present challenging, interesting and informative cases which will stimulate lively discussion and interactive learning.
We're also delighted to announce that one of the world's leading experts in thyroid cancer, Dr Bryan McIver from the Moffitt Cancer Centre, Tampa, Florida, will be our guest speaker. Bryan is founder of the World Congress on Thyroid Cancer and has been awarded "Teacher of the Year" twice from his time at the Mayo Clinic. Further details are here.
Each delegate was asked to provide a case title and 5 line summary. From this the Academic Committee, Chaired by Dr Associate Professor Penny Hunt selected those that provide the broadest range of clinical endocrinology challenges. Priority was given to Trainees as there is insufficient time for all cases to be presented.
Those selected to present have been asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation, with a maximum of 15 slides, and this will be followed by 15 mins of collegial discussion, for maximal learning opportunity for all delegates. The Chairperson will keep strictly to time, with warning bell at 13 mins, and presenters stopped at 15mins.
We have asked presenters try to be interactive - pausing to ask questions, challenging the audience, avoiding lengthy literature reviews, and to consider having a final slide posing some questions for discussion.
(N.B. try not to read out any text on your slides - that can be soporific! Instead try to have headings and pictures that you then talk around, to keep your audience hanging on your every word.)
The Draft Programme is posted below, and will be subject to change .
Thursday 22nd November, Novotel Cathedral Square
8.30-8.50am Welcome tea/coffee in Crossings Lounge
9.00-10.30am Welcome & Clinical case presentations (x3) in Waimakariri room
1. Dr Anthony Walters - Struggling with Serendipity
2. Dr Rita Upreti - A case when hooves did come from a zebra
3. Dr Kate Rassie - Breaking hearts, leaking hormones
10.30-11.00am Morning break
11.00-12.30pm Clinical case presentations (x3)
4. Dr Richard Carroll - PRRT for NZ Nets
5. Dr Christy Macdonald - Not just Mayer Rokitansky Kuster Hauser syndrome?!
6. Dr Jessica Lee – A case of familial aches
12.30-1.30pm Lunch in Square Restaurant
1.30 - 2.30pm Guest Speaker, Dr Bryan McIver, Thyroid Cancer
2.30 - 3.30pm Thyroid cancer clinical presentations (x2), with meet-the-expert case discussion
7. Dr Olivia Collins – A dicey obstruction
8. Dr Tom Cawood - When do I get the fancy drugs?
3.30-4.00 Afternoon break
4.00-5.00 Clinical case presentations (x2)
9. Dr Ziweh Goh – Metabolic mayhem
10. Dr Brian Corley – With the Breast of Intentions…
Evening - Drinks & canapes on the Christchurch Tram
Meet at 7pm at the Tram stop by the Chess Board in Cathedral Square
8.00pm Conference dinner at Twenty Seven Steps
(Bring your NZSE Conference name badge if you want to get in!)
Friday 23rd November
8.30-9.00am Welcome tea/coffee in Crossings Lounge
9.00-10.30am Clinical case presentations (x3) in Waimakariri room
11. Dr Dennis Chan - Sparing Adrenals
12. Dr Ryan Paul - Surgery for FHH, to cut or not to cut?
13. Dr Natasha Brown - Spontaneous hypoglycaemia; not always straightfroward
10.30-11.00am Morning break
11.00-12.00pm Clinical case presentations (x2)
14. Dr Charles Barter – Hypercalcaemia and prostate cancer
15. Dr Tom Barr - Sheehaint heavy, she's my....(steroid deficient patient)
12.00 – 12.15pm Prize-giving and closing remarks
12.15pm Buffet Lunch
Afternoon will be a Trainees' afternoon
1.30 - 2.30 pm Waimakariri Boardroom
2.30 - 4.00pm Supervisor interviews,
Waimakariri Boardroom, Waimakariri Interview room 1 & Ashley interview room 2.